First Steps - Guide for beginners

• Official Post

First Steps

In essence, there are two components that represent the action guidelines at Table Tennis Manager: The finances and the athletic development of your team. In the beginning, you will receive a starting capital of 10,000 € in addition to five adult and three youth players. While it might seem that you can do a lot with this kind of money, you should really think about your investments carefully, as you will only earn a fraction of that amount on a normal day - especially at the beginning.

In order to give away as little revenue as possible at first, the following procedure is recommended:

1. Set up a team (via player/ line-up)
    The team line-up is extremely important. After all, you will lose your next game without a fight if you forget about the line-up. The players that are available to you at the beginning have relatively similar values, wherefore you do not have to think about the player ranking for long. The line-up can be adjusted at any time.

2. Training settings (via training/ training)
    These training settings are free and should be adjusted at the beginning. You should focus on one player type, e.g. an attack, defensive player, or an all-rounder, while being careful not to neglect the other values either.

3. Choosing the sponsors (via office/ sponsors)

• Day Sponsor: The day sponsor is only valid for one day. In this case, it is necessary to make a decision between the guaranteed amount and the possible amount ("amount" + "victory bonus") in the event of a victory.

• Season Sponsor: The season sponsor works according to the same principle, but for the whole season. The amount of the sponsors' offering is random within a certain corridor and changes several times a day. In this case, it can be useful (if your time and tactics allow you do to so) to check whether you can score a better offer several times a day.

• Table Position Sponsor: In this case, you should not get irritated if you are starting at the beginning of a season. The table position sponsor can only be selected from the 5th game day onward. In this case, it is clear which contract is the most advantageous. However, you cannot just make your selection starting on the 5th game day, but can only select according to your own table position. If your team is ranked fourth, you can take the sponsorship contract which requires you to be in fifth place. If, however, you are expecting a table position improvement and an advancement to third place, you can wait a day before you enter into a table position sponsorship agreement, since you will get the sponsor for third place on the 6th game day (if the prediction occurs). In each case, it is only the table position that matters at the conclusion of the contract. Even if you lose a few ranks thereafter, you will receive the full fixed amount on a daily basis.

4. Hire staff (via office/ staff)

At the beginning, you can only hire one member of staff. As a result, different managers tend to disagree as to how you should get started. That is why you should consult the Staff Planning Guide. However, you are advised to take advantage of your one staff spot in any case. Always have a look at your daily costs, a staff costs salaries on a daily basis like the players.

Now for the athletic considerations:

If you do not have the time to start thinking about the game and develop a long-term strategy at the beginning, you should at least define the line-up(s), the tactics, and the training:

Line-Up:

Here, you can line up the players according to their abilities (the players that you are provided with in the beginning hardly differ at first, which is why it is important to just line up anybody). Without a line-up, you would automatically lose each game 0:6.

The three youth players can also be used for the league games of the adults, if one would like. However, a youth release must be acquired for each youth player. This requires a one-time fee of only €200 per player (from the age of 16, a young person is automatically allowed to play for the adults, regardless of whether he had a youth release or not). The youth release can be acquired under "Player," "Player Pool," followed by a click on the red flag behind the respective player.

It is also important that there are different line-ups. In addition to the most important line-up for the point games of the adults ("league"), there is a line-up for friendlies of the adults and the youth (for the latter, one needs at least four youth players, however; a fourth youth placer can either be acquired via the player pool or via a youth scout).

The "championship" and "youth championship" line-ups are only available for changes right before the start of the tournament. After the login, you can see whether a championship or a trophy tournament is currently taking place (red field) in the overview (also under "office," "overview") or if you can sign up your team for the respective tournament (green field).

Tactics:

Here, you can adjust how much effort each player should be putting into the game. More effort leads to higher chances of success, but also requires more stamina, which is why it is useful to choose the "passive" setting for most games from the start. Since one should not underestimate the challenges of stamina management (if a player drops below 0 stamina points, he cannot be used anymore), there is a separate guide for this: Stamina Management Guide.

Training:

This daily training is a free way to improve your own players. Here, the training can be adjusted for all players at once or individually for each player.

Special training and training camps are also fee-based options for improving a player. At the beginning, this is not recommended or at most for individual special players, since you will not be able to finance these expenses otherwise. In addition, the increase in the market value through these training options is lower than the costs.

As for the "setting of the overall agenda," which should be well thought out:

In case of a sale, both the trainer and the players will only yield 60% of the value that they had when you hired them. This means that you should be sure to plan accordingly.

On the question of staff planning (when which trainer should be hired), there is a separate guide: Staff Planning Guide.

A similar squad-planning guide is in the making. Basically, the more players you have, the better you are able to adjust to possible setbacks (i.e.: random events) and rotate players in order to preserve their stamina.

The player salaries are directly linked to a player's abilities. So if you get a strong player, this player has a high salary. Through the successes in the training, the players improve. Their salary also slowly increases during the season.

Since the hall is always sold out (105 spectators) at the beginning, an expansion is recommended (via "office," "hall") as far as your finances allow you to do so. If the hall is not sold out, you can increase the attractiveness of the hall by expanding or improving your facilities (via "office," "facilities"). Just as with the hall (depending on the number of seats), the furnishings are also associated with a maintenance fee (however, in this case you can determine the right time for the "renewal" yourself). The effect on the number of viewers is always a profitable one, however. If the hall is not sold out (any longer), because you have already expanded it quite a bit, you can adjust the entrance fees from "high" to "normal" in order to attract more spectators and possibly generate higher revenues.

What you should not do at first:

Buy rackets. Rackets make a player more successful, but they are expensive to buy and get used up over time. In the lower game classes, they thus make little sense.

Staff settings for espionage/ the security service/ motivational trainer. Here, too, the cost-benefit ratio is poor. On some cases, there is no benefit at all (if you only play against computer opponents, nobody will spy on you).

Make your staff attend seminars. The seminars are expensive and are also associated with a poor cost-benefit ratio. In this case, looking for bargains in the pool or on the black market is recommended.

Have a look at our video tutorial with first steps also: https://youtu.be/eAVSPhjhbeA

We owe this guide to badminton. For suggestions or additions, simply post here and I will update the guide.

• As promised, I will start a beginners' gude to try and help out new managers. There are lots of things to cover so I will do it in a couple of posts.

In my 1st post, I will try to cover the introduction to the game with some general advice. (Wulfman also covered that in basics for each segment - Take a look at the information under the small "i" in all areas of the game Video.)

If anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask. But I will not go into too much detail about player development for example because it's up to each of us to find it out.

a) Introduction

First of all, this is a true manager game in which every move you make has an impact on multiple fields in short, medium and long term. That is why it is important to make as few mistakes possible and I would say the best managers in the game are the ones that make the fewest mistakes. The game has a learning curve so it is normal to try things out, fail and learn from your mistakes but here you can find some answers and skip the usual rookie mistakes.

Your starting position is limited but offers you a base on which you can build your future:

1) Bank account: 10.000 EUR - limited resources, you need to spend wisely so try not to spend too much too soon (avoid unnecesary staff, player, racket purchases)

2) Start in Amateur league 1 or 2 (8th or 9th strength divison) - good because if offers you a chance to earn money from the sponsors and league premiums (depends on your league position at the end of the season), and gain experience as you move up the ranks.

3) Your team - consists of 5 adult, weak players with no real future + 3 youth players. (possible strategies will be explained separately)

4) 1 staff slot – doesn't help you much in your first season, just raises your costs so it is wise to avoid any purchases in season 1.

5) Hall for home games - Very small hall with 80+20+5 for total of 105 home game spectators.

b) Building up a team, training, staff

As written above - at first you have 5 adult players that are not really good + 3 youth players, all of which you can use to differently, depending on the gameday of the season.

My general advice here depends on whether it is preseason, gameday 1-3 or later and here's why:

1) Preseason - as a premium member, you have an option to loan 1-2 players. That allows you to sell (at least) 3 out of 5 adult players to earn money and loan equal or better players that can help you in your first 3-5 seasons.

2) Gameday 1-3 - fresh start of the season usually offers 16 year old players on the pool that can be a base for the first 10-15 seasons. Most of them will costs from 5.000 to 9.000 EUR, talent 15-40 (higher is better), experience 20-50, stamina 50+ and possibly a special skill.

My advice here is to look for 3 (most) important things and try to find a compromise - player with high talent (30+), enough stamina (80-90+) and special skill - leg work.

1 or 2 such players are more than enough at this point, especially if you were able to loan 2 players in the preseason. In that case, you do not need those adult players you were awarded at the beginning so feel free to sell them and gather some money.

3) Gameday 4 - 18 - Options are a bit more limited, but it is possible to find players mentioned above - just depends if it is worth it because the earlier you buy and start developing a player, the more experience, ability and skill points (for special skills) will be gathered. Here I would suggest to sell 2-3 starting players and buy (1) 16 year old player.

Youth players - starting youth players can be used differently - as a build up team (which I would not advise for several reasons) or as money source (if you do not play them, they will slowly rise in value so you can sell them to pool when they reach 16 years of age). The third option is to just fire them to the pool but it could be wise to just use them as option 2.

My advice is to avoid buying/developing youth players in seasons 1-4.

Training, special training, staff - Player development (ability wise) depends on several factors: talent, usage of special training and staff.

Special training is used for developing young players for the future or maintenance of older players so try not to use it on all your players in the beginning. If you take my advice, use it on above mentioned 16 year old players you buy and/or 11 year old you got.

Staff - it would be wise to avoid buying trainers and other staff in Season 1 or 2, but if you believe you should, rather do it in season 2 after your premiums and sponsor money kick in (buy a trainer or youth trainer, not stamina trainer and definitely not other staff)

Here are also other important things such as:

a) Player-trainer ratio - if you have too many players on only 1 trainer - your improvement will be slow so my advice is not to buy a trainer in your first season because there is not much you gain from it.

b) Player age - younger players improve faster, lets say from age 10 do 16-17, improve normally but the improvement slows down and eventully shuts down as your players get older.

c) Player ability - Up to ability 100, the rise is fast but afterwards it slows down. Special training gets more important in that case.

General advice on how to develop your players - take a look at player auctions from time to time, try to analyze the players that are offered (ability distribution, skills), make screenshots to have a reference. You can easily access player results in all leagues and think about why some of those players have good/bad score.

Also, it's always a good idea to monitor the development of your players (you can create an Excel file and write down the progress on a daily basis).

Speedgame - really important for gathering information, testing out different development tactics (ability distribution, importance of experience, basic knowledge on how player to trainer ratio works)..

c) Lineup, tactics, friendly games

1) Lineup - there are different important factors here such as: player development (experience and skills), stamina, winning. You need to find a balance, depending on your goals.

My general advice is to always put the most important player you develop on 1st position to maximise his experience gain. As mention in the introduction, long term thinking is important.

2) Tactics - when you are in lower leagues, (almost) always plan on passive because stamina is the main problem. With time, it becomes less of a problem when you award your players leg work skills, but until then you need to save as much as possible. You should be able to win most games on passive but do not let it discourage you if you don't win because you will start winning as you progress.

3) Friendly games - important for several reasons - experience gain, revenue and general indicator of your improvement (in case you challenge teams from similar leagues). Always play on passive.

That's all in part 1, unfortunately I don't too much time at the moment and it is actually tougher than I thought. :D ;(

• As I told you ingame, those are not necessarily mistakes. This game allows different tactics, some managers (better than me) probably won't even agree with the approach I described above.

Part 2 to the guide -

Tactics and lineup part - most managers have a pattern in their lineups. It's easy to take go through earlier game lineups in the season (unless it's gameday 1 ofc) and see who prefers to play the same lineup every game, who likes to mix it up, etc. Some managers prefer top players first to try and win as easy as possible, others put their youth players so you are able to try and exploit it...

Second thing is the combination of 2 sections - Expensive players and Team ranking.

Write down the opponents players and check their values and also crosscheck with Team ranking (only lined-up players - try to calculate the average values of the opposing team). Ofc, it's possible that one or more players are outliers (weak youth players or strong, experienced players), that's why you also check individual values. It's not 100% accurate but somewhat helps.

Finances - as you start in the low leagues, you are able to exploit that and earn some money by winning the league and collecting premiums.

Don't rush it, sometimes it's not a bad idea to finish 3rd or even get relegated in order to gain more experience and be 1st the next season. Patience is very important here.

Special training is cheap (but your players also gain less than in higher leagues) and that doesn't necessarily mean you should put all your players on very intensive because some/most of your current players are only used short term (you will figure it out in 5-10 seasons).

Hall for home games - new players usually make 2 mistakes:

1) expand all stands, seats and VIP places all at once - since you are in low leagues, that increases your maintenance costs which you pay every gameday and on home gamedays you do not fill it out.

2) forget/don't know they should expand so they miss out on easy money.

The easiest way is to sum up the number of fans of your own players and add up some number on top of it, because opponents also attract fans. That comes with experience so don't worry if you didn't expand as much as you could, just do it afterwards. There's a saying: "better late than never" that can be applied here.

Sponsorship money - my advice is to also look at minimum/maximum sums for seasonal sponsors in speedgame (one of many things you can learn from speedgame that applies to the regular game). It's somewhat important to be able to recognize which sponsor deal is good enough and which isn't (differences between deals can easily make a 2-5 thousand EUR difference per season)

That's all from me for now. Feel free to ask me questions ingame or via direct message on forum.